Saturday, August 4, 2012

Meet Our July Team Challenge Winner: Dana from AbraBOWdana!

Meet our July team challenge winner, Dana from AbraBOWdana.  I am very excited to tell you all about her and her shop.  She makes the most adorable bows and puts them on everything from headbands to flip flops and she upcycles!  Dana's shop is full of color and very fun to browse.  I enjoy looking through all of the pretty bows and admire all of the many styles.  I had no idea there were so many things that could be done with bows, but I should know to never underestimate creativity.

This summery bow is available for purchase here.


The first thing I always want to know about an artisan is how they got started.  Dana told me that she "had been buying bows from many shops on Etsy.  I had admired the work and wished I could do it myself.  And then one day I bought some ribbon and tried!"  I love it when people love a handmade product so much they decide to try to make it themselves!  That is what keeps these arts alive.

This elegant jersey headband is available for purchase here.


So how does learning to make bows yourself become an Etsy shop?  I asked Dana and she said, "I decided to open an Etsy store because I had purchased from Etsy myself and loved everything I had ever bought.  I wanted to be a part of the community that is Etsy!"  Etsy is a fabulous community.  I can relate to wanting to be a part of the Etsy community.  That is why I opened my shop up on Etsy too!

This Chicago Blackhawks bow is available for purchase here.


As a fellow upcycler, I couldn't help but notice all of the upcycled items Dana used.  Bows made from upcycled denim, as well as bottle cap magnets and bottle caps used in the centers of some of her bows.  I even noticed some vintage button in the centers of some of those bows.  I asked Dana about her upcycling.  She said, "I absolutely LOVE upcycling materials!!!  My aunt was a HUGE crafter and she used to work in a thrift store.  She would take buttons and fabric from the clothes that had stains and could not be sold.  So when she stopped crafting and I started she gave me an entire box of buttons and gemstones and lace and denim!  I was so excited!  To me, it's a challenge to take something old and make it look new again.  Right now I'm on the hunt for old vintage earrings and broaches to use as bridal or baptismal flower centers!!!"  My heart skipped a beat when I read that.  An entire box of goodies to upcycle???  Talk about upcycler heaven!

This pretty jersey headband is available for purchase here.


As I mentioned above, Dana has a fabulous variety of designs in her shop.  Adorable bows for everyday occasions, bows with a sports team theme, bridal bows, and on and on.  I wondered where her inspiration came from.  Dana told me, "I would say my daughter Carli is my inspiration!  I kind of go off what she is into and what she likes.  Barbie, Hello Kitty, Bubble Guppies, Minnie Mouse, anything Disney!  I also am trying to pay attention to the outfits she wears or what is in the stores right now.  I never really looked that close at fashion, but now I definitely do!"  It's great how owning an Etsy shop can open your eyes to things you had never noticed before.  I love broadening horizons.

This adorable Hello Kitty bow is available for purchase here.

I want to give a special shout out to the jersey headbands!  These are labor intensive and require a lot of sewing, but the result is beautiful.  They look very comfortable and so stylish!  I love it when comfort and style combine with such fabulous results.  Here are a couple more of those headbands.  I can't help it.  They are so fun!!

This lovely jersey headband is available for purchase here.

This darling jersey knit headband is available for purchase here.


Although Dana is a "new" crafter, she is obviously a hard working one.  I think these jersey knit headbands might be my favorite.  Dana says, "I definitely aim to please.  I am my harshest critique.  I am going to keep learning and trying new things and having a ton of fun while doing it!"  What a fantastic attitude for an artisan to have.  I think it is in our blood.  

Thank you Dana for sharing all of your wonderful thoughts and your beautiful bows!  I have tried to show a good sampling of the variety in AbraBOWdana, but you will really have to visit the shop and browse her items to see all of the beautiful work she does.  You can also find Dana on Facebook.  Please stop on her page and show this hard working artisan some love.

Love and Peace,

Luci

No comments:

Post a Comment